Thursday, February 25, 2010

Zambia via London via Toronto

It seems like so long ago since I left Edmonton but, in truth, it's not even been 48 hours. Before we even left Edmonton, we experience divine intervention on our trip. Debbie (our team leader) was called to the gate over the intercom; none of us knew why but we were all secretly hoping that we were being upgraded :-) When Debbie got there, they had her passport & boarding pass at the counter. It was strange because Debbie was sure it was in her bag. Apparantly, a young couple had found it in the garbage can when they were throwing out a coffee cup. Debbie still has no idea how it got there since all she threw away was a banana peel. But, it made for an exciting start!

We arrived safely in Lusaka, Zambia at 6:15am (Zambia time) which was 9:15pm back home. Our first stop was Toronto where we had about 3 hours to kill then hopped the plane to London. When we arrived in London, we purchased tickets for the "tube" and headed to downtown London. I must say, we made our way through the London Underground like experts! In our few short hours in London, we went to Picadilly Circus, had Fish & Chips at Three Crowns, went for a "flight" on the London Eye, and spent some time at Buckingham Palace. Then... back to the airport to hop our 9+hour flight to Lusaka.

We arrived in Africa and got to Cheryl Ann's home only to realize that we'd left a suitcase at the airport. Fortunately, when Debbie & Cheryl Ann went back, it was there waiting. Now, we've all had showers and are ready to take on the day in Lusaka. It will be a low key day since we all want to be rested for our first all day workshop tomorrow. I will be leading a full day of workshops for about 30 women who work with widows and orphans. I don't often get nervous but I'm definitely nervous. BUT... I know that God has brought me here and He will not abandon me now. I feel Him leading me so I will trust in that.

On an interesting note, the missionary we are staying with is from close to home for me; she is from New Norway where my aunt and uncle live. Even more interesting is the fact that she is cousin to my friend's dad! Small world!

I hope all is well for everyone back home; my thoughts and prayers are with you always.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you made it safe and sound. You are so brave and I am glad you had the opportunity to see a few things in London when you were there. I am confident that you will have no problems in any of your workshops, public speaking is definately a gift that God has bless you with. I love you little sis.
    God Bless you. Love, Heidi

    ReplyDelete

California trip

California trip
A group of my "rocks"