Thursday, June 4, 2009

Rest, rest, rest...

Why is it so incredibly hard to just rest? I had my breast reconstruction surgery on 9 days ago and the surgery went well. For the most part, I felt great afterwards but had strict orders from my wonderful surgeon to REST! He told me: no sweeping, no vacuuming, no lifting over 10lbs, no stretching, basically... sit on your butt! Most of this applies for 6 weeks!!! How do you not sweep the floor when there's grass tracked in from the dogs & kids? How do you not vacuum when you were dumb enough to put in dark brown carpet that shows EVERYTHING? I'm trying, I really am.

The first really dumb thing I did was move a load of laundry from the washer to the dryer... seemed benign enough but boy oh boy did I pay for it that evening. I actually thought I'd popped some stitches. I've caught myself sweeping and heading for the vacuum. I really realized how serious this was when I did a team building session for the youth from our church going to the Ukraine on a missions trip; it hurt to erase the whiteboard. How lame is that?

Why is it so difficult to rest? God tells us that we need to rest; that our best work comes from a state of rest not a state of stress and "busy-ness". So, why is it so hard? I think our culture is one of "busy" - do you ever ask someone how they've been and they say "I'm incredibly well rested & balanced. I've had several free evenings this week."??? I can't remember the last time I heard a response like that. Most of the time it's "I've been sooooo busy". I hear myself say it all the time. You'd think over the last 2 years I would have learned the lesson of rest. I'm trying, I really am trying. All I can do is pray that God works on my heart & head so I know how to balance, how to work hard and rest well.

How about you? Do you really know how to rest?

Be Blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

California trip

California trip
A group of my "rocks"